Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Quick Reviews - Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten

Alright kidos, George here again(at least 'til Hugo makes his debut post). Every now and again I will be doing "Quick Reviews" on movies and shows I've recently watched, they will be short because I can't really write worth a shit without rambling on into nothingness like right now. So let's get it started!

-Joe Strummer: The Future Is Unwritten-
So the last post I mentioned buying the soundtrack, this weekend I rented it. The Future Is Unwritten uses old recordings of Strummer's radio show to tell the story of his life and interviews around a campfire from people like John Cusack, Steve Buscemi to Strummer's oldest friends he used to squat with in run down houses in London. Its a really interesting look at Strummer growing up and the formation of The Clash, but also sad seeing how the band ended. When Matt Fraction(Marvel Comics writer) came to town for the FanExpo, he talked to me a bit about how The Clash's first two albums was their best stuff and should have ended it there(something to that extend anyway, don't quote me on that). After watching this doc i kinda see what he means, though I argue that London Calling stands side-by-side with the first two. The point is you see stuff you never knew about Joe Strummer, some stuff I kinda didn't want to know but also a lot I did. Though I'm not a huge Clash fan, more so The Mescaleros(which is covered in the doc), check out The Future Is Unwritten if you're a Clash fan or if you're just interested in general about Joe Strummer himself or any of his projects.
Looks like I didn't keep it short or avoid ramblings, oh well.

See Ya Next Time!

No comments: